Marina Homes and Condos for Sale
Marina is located just a few miles north of Monterey and Seaside. Marina is known for its famous sand dunes, where hang gliders take off from the cliffs above the Pacific Ocean. If traveling South from San Francisco, Marina is the first community you encounter on the Monterey Peninsula when driving Route Highway One. There is fishing, great surfing, bird watching, beach going and whale watching activities to keep you entertained. This ecologically sensitive region overlooks one of the largest marine sanctuaries in the Monterey Bay. Marina State Beach has great appeal for hang gliders and kite fliers as well as picnickers.
Marina is a bustling city with a small town feel. This residential community is home to
California State University at Monterey Bay located on the Former Ft Ord which was bordered to the north by Marina. Ft Ord has an illustrious military history and is now undergoing a remarkable that includes commercial economic development, supportive housing, visitor serving facilities, and related institutional activities. Nearly two-thirds of the former base will be preserved and maintained as habitat for endangered species and recreational open space.
There is a good variety of housing opportunities in Marina from apartments and condos, to charming residential streets with beautiful homes. Also, new developments have been started including the East Garrison project and The Dunes on Monterey Bay. Here is a list of current project for Marina:
- AMCAL Promontory Student Housing – Grand Opening August 2015
- Light and Motion lease at Marina Municipal Airport
- Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula Wellness Center expansion (CHOMP)- Park and Ride lot
- Rockrose Gardens-21 units residential, adults with mental illness
- University Village Apartments (2nd & 9th St): 108 unit apartment complex – waiting list (Low income)
- Reservation Rd: Del Monte – Seacrest: $252,350 CIP – Roadway Maintenance Project Overlay
- Reservation Rd: Beach – Del Monte : $2,549,600 CIP – Traffic Circles, Roadway/Pedestrian Improvements
- Greenwaste Recovery Franchise Agreement
Cypress Knolls (Patton Park Housing):
- During 2014, City staff completed a major clean up of property to take care of safety issues
- City Council will next address this project’s status and options during FY15/16.
Marina Heights Project:
- Developer continues seeking a vertical builder for the 299 Phase 1 lots for which all infrastructure improvements are complete and are ready for vertical construction. Developer anticipates pulling building permits in next 90 – 120 days.
Airport Master Plan:
- Draft chapters of the Master Plan will be presented to and reviewed by a Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) that is comprised of various airport stakeholders, including representatives from the City of Marina, FAA, Caltrans, airport businesses, tenants, and area economic development interests. Two public information workshops have been held to encourage citizens to learn more about the future plans for the airport. The final public information open house was held on June 18, 2015 from 5:30 – 7:00 pm at the airport conference room.
- Consultation with FAA regarding approval of forecasts in process.
- Investigation of alternative alignments for north side access road in process.
- Meet with Armstrong Ranch regarding future RPZ on Armstrong holdings
- Hangar 510 pavement repair was completed.
- Airport Business Park/MBEST Center Specific Plan Project: Project description was completed. An administrative draft of the Specific Plan was prepared and began review by the City and UC staff during 2014.
- Next steps include coordination with FAA and environmental review of project.
- Approximately 150 acre site (75 acres City of Marina, 19 acres business aviation reserve, 56 acres Business Park.
- Approximately 75 acres University of California
- Current length = 3,483 ft.
- Length is subject to change based on FAA – approve critical aircraft and aviation forecast
- Short-term length extension being evaluated
- Ultimate length = 5,800 ft. contemplated for airport planning purposes
The Dunes Development:
- Veterans Affairs Marina Health Care Clinic $100M project
- Vertical construction of Foundation/steel superstructure began Oct. 20, 2014.
- MCWD and PG&E working on utility easements.
- 3-story; approximately 150,000 sq. ft. facility located on 14.31 acres
- Anticipated project completion date – Spring 2016
The Promontory (AMCAL) – Completed:
- Grand Opening August 2015 for initial occupancy to occur Fall Semester, 2015.
- 8 acre parcel located at Imjin Rd. & 8th St –Adjacent to CSUMB. $44M project.
- Construction of three, four-story purpose- buildings will house 175 one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom dormitory units, for a total of 583 bedrooms..
- 4,600 sq. ft. community center
- Computer lab/business center, clubhouse and fitness area
University Villages Housing Project – Completed:
- This $21M project is a 108 affordable unit housing apartment complex for very low income individuals.
- University Village Apartments (2nd & 9th St.) was completed during May 2014.
- 108 unit apartment complex and community center – waiting list
- Very low-income households
Cinemark and Village Square :
- $5.8M project
- Grand Opening September 2015
- Features: wall-to-wall, ceiling-to-floor screens
Dunes Residential Housing:
- Phase 1(C) – 117 lot site plan approved
- 64 homes are being constructed
- 68 building permits have been issued to date.
- Final build out 1,237 homes
- 20% residential affordable units (248 units)
- 5% workforce housing (62 units)
Retail and Restaurants (Scott Negri):
- 21,000 Square feet retail development
- Planning Commission public hearings held May 28, 2015 and August 4, 2015. City Council public hearing August 18, 2015
- Tenants: Blaze Pizza, Teriyaki Madness, Menchie’s Yogurt, The Habit Burger, Starbucks, Chipotle, Verizon, Sports Clip Hair Cuts
More Dunes Information:
- At build-out, The Dunes is estimated to generate $2.6M annual surplus to Marina’s general fund and gas tax fund
- Increased sales and TOT taxes comprise 57% of that number
- During construction, The Dunes will generate nearly 800 direct and indirect construction jobs
- At build-out, The Dunes is estimated to generate thousands of permanent jobs with annual payroll of $193M
Springhill Suites (Marriott) Hotel Project:
- Vertical construction has begun
- Opening anticipated early Spring 2016
- Location – 10TH & 2ND Ave.; on a 2.62 acre project site (APN’s 031-251-046 & 031-251-047)
- Project– 4 story hotel, 106 rooms
- 1,750 sq. ft. meeting room
- Hotel 67,328 sq. ft.
- Design Review Board approved project on October 15, 2014; Planning Commission for Conditional Use Permit for Type 48 Alcoholic Beverage Control License for hotel bar October 23, 2014
- Site and architectural design review approved by Planning Commission; Conditional Use Permit for alcoholic beverage sales approved by Planning Commission
- Site and Architectural Design Review to FORA Administrative Committee and Board of Directors
- FORA Consistency for Conditional Use Permit Administrative Committee December 3, 2014; Information Report to Board of Directors December 12, 2014
- Special Tree Committee Meeting January 20, 2015 to permit removal of 45” Monterey cypress
- Foundation under construction
- Total project cost expected to be $21M
Sold on beginning your new life in Marina? Each subdivision has its explicit advantages and unique characteristics which create a real estate value specific to that location. There can be dramatic variance in pricing of homes with similar square footage and lot size based on the subdivision where the home is located.
Start your Marina Real Estate search today! See below to view the most recent and active real estate listings available in Marina. For private tours and showings, contact me direct and I would love to show you the sights of Marina!